From:
Karen Wasson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 18:44:38 EST
From:    Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: CPU Fan

It may be something in the BIOS that is powering down the fan at a certain
temperature, or a bug in the BIOS, that is turning it off inadvertently. I
had a motherboard with a BIOS glitch that caused the fan to effect what
clock speed the BIOS ran the CPU at, when the CPU fan was plugged into the
motherboard. Epox, the manufacturer, never did resolve this.

Nothing in the operating system should be controlling the CPU fan. Make
sure any power saving options are turned off in the BIOS, so the fan won't
turn off. Of course, you can always plug the CPU fan directly into a
regular power supply molax connector, which avoids any motherboard control
of the CPU fan. The CPU fan usually has a red, white, and a black wire. The
white wire is just a signal wire that relays information to the BIOS.The
black wire is the ground, and the red wire is 12 volts, which is the same
as the yellow 12 volt wire on your power supply molex lead. I don't know
why they did it this way, seems to me they should of kept all the voltages
on the same color...but they didn't. So connect the red wire to a yellow
wire, and the black wire on the CPU fan to any black wire on the power
supply. This will make the fan run flat out all the time, which will end
your problem. If you find this a bit noisy you can always buy a new "quiet
" CPU cooler. Quiet, of course, is a relative term.... so don't expect too
much.

There are lots of way's to do this, you can go to Radio Shack, or Home
Depot ,and buy some quick connect wire splice snap on modules, or
you can buy an adaptor  for a couple of dollars which will do this for
you.  Go to www.cyberguys.com and do a quick search for item 1480021, which
is a Fan to 4 wire Molex Connector.

Good luck with it!

Rode
The NOSPIN Group

Thanks, Mark. You gave me some great stuff to add to my "knowledge", such as
it is. I found a solution around 3:00 a.m.... thought I would share it.

I figured it had to be BIOS/Motherboard related at some point (probably
around 2:30 a.m.) and pulled the fan connector off the motherboard. At that point,
I was thinking that maybe I had a male/female connector in spare parts to hook
the fan up directly to the power supply to test it. While poking around and
wishing I had made a cup o' coffee, I noticed another fan connector a few
inches away. The fan was previously connected to the "CPU fan" connector on the
MoBo... the other one was labeled "case fan", which wasn't in use. I attached the
wiring to the case fan, powered up- and it now works like it should.

Weird...I think you're right and it must be a glitch in the new BIOS. I know
the CPU fan was working correctly before I flashed the BIOS. At any rate, what
a relief! This was a PC I was rebuilding for my Grandfather, and it's getting
shipped out today.

Thanks again!

Karen Wasson

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,