Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:18:07 +0000
Greetings Marc & list--

If you are attempting to install Win98SE "over the top" of Windows 95,
you will probably have to (at the DOS prompt) type the following command:
ren c:\windows\win.com win.old. This renames the 'main' OS file of Windows
so that your installation of Win98SE will not return a "There is already an
operating system installed..." message.

If, as you say, this is a new (to you) hard disk, a better way would be to use
the Windows98SE boot floppy to start the computer, use fdisk to delete the
existing partition, then create a new one, and then (change to the RAMdisk it creates)
format the drive. Following those steps, do a fresh installation of Windows 98SE.
This way you will not retain possibly "bad" registry information from the Windows
95 OS previously installed.

HTH.

Paul A. Shippert
and I'm hovering like a fly