From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 21:05:11 -0400
At 05:51 PM 9/27/2001, you wrote:
>The reason your cable modem light is flashing all the time is because the
>RT314 and your Cable company server are chattering back and forth at a very
>low level.
>  Are you there...Yes I am. Are you there...Yes I am. etc etc ...
>Mine did this for months and then one day stopped probably because COX
>stopped pinging it all the time. I did call NetGear about this which is why
>I know what it was doing. NetGear is aware of this and their solution is to
>ignore it. Just the other day I noticed my access light is no longer
>constantly blinking.

Just to add a little to the excellent information Mark provided, much of
the light flashing that has been happening over the last several weeks has
been due to the Code Red, Nimba and other viruses that exploit a weakness
in the Microsoft Web Server software.  You don't need to be infected with
the virus, but rather it infects web servers and causes ARP requests (The
"are you there?", "Yes I am here" requests that mark mentioned above) to
propagate to almost every computer on the same system as the infected
computer.  It is difficult to explain in simple terms.  Suffice it to say
that MOST of the light flashing RECENTLY (the last two to four weeks) is
due to the behavior I described above.  Many cable-modem companies (called
MSO's) are putting filters on the Port 80 that these viruses use.  So one
day the light flashing will just stop after they apply the filter.

HTH

Eric

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml