From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:02:57 -0700
Don wrote;
>He's got a lot of personal files and some downloaded programs (paid for)
>that he'd like to transfer to his new setup.

As for the personal files there isn't a problem, there may me a glitch in
the programs due to the fact some of the information is contained in the
Registry and may get fragmented when transferred to the new drive. The
programs were installed on the old drive and various components were spread
out all over the Windows 98 OS. The downloaded programs may be downloaded
again depending upon the site. Sometimes you are allowed to download the
program again and use the license they gave him. It has worked for me.

>What would be the best way to transfer all of this data to the new machine?

Dennis brought up a good point suggesting hooking up the old drive in the
new box, setting the jumpers accordingly and do a transfer that way. In my
opinion, I would do this and leave the old drive as a backup. You may be
able to run those programs from the drive. Another option which is part of
XP is a "Files and settings transfer wizard". This program is located off
the start menu under "System Tools." There are several options to do this.
One is a direct cable hookup.

Zipping and Emailing may be time consuming depending upon the number of
files needing to be transferred. Emailing a grip of files may cause your
friends ISP to kick the files a spam.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 0525-1, 06/21/2005
Tested on: 6/21/2005 9:02:49 AM

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>