From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:55:09 +0000
Greetings--

I have recently come up against a problem with Microsoft Update.  It was necessary to restore an Acer Aspire 5000 laptop with its included restore CDs. After the completion of the restore, I installed and updated Avast antivirus and ZoneAlarm free firewall. I then went to Microsoft Update and allowed the site to apply some 87 critical updates, 8 optional components, and a hardware update for the laptop's video subsystem. When the operation completed, and I restarted the computer, I attempted to use Microsoft Update again, but was confronted with an error message reading something like 'files necessary to run Microsoft Update are either not present on or are not registered on your computer'. There were two radio button choices, download and reregister the files (recommended) and 'let me see other information that may be necessary' (not an exact quote).  This happened on what was an essentially pristine installation of Windows XP Home. I was unable to find any Knowledge Base article/
download at the MS site to address this situation.

The laptop is an AMD Turion, with 512 MB RAM, and an 80 GB (?) hard disk.

Looking for all the help I can get. I'd rather not have to do a system restore and re-patch one-by-one until it breaks in order to find the culprit.

Paul A. Shippert
and I'm hovering like a fly
waiting for the windshield on the
freeway." Genesis