From:
Marc Rafanelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 01:07:02 -0400
Dean,

----- Original Message -----
From: Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 26 mai, 1999 20:43
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] SETI@home

> Please correct me if I am wrong.  I understand that this stuff works
> sort of like a screen saver and downloads bits of data to analyze
> as it gets a chance.
> It is not a  batch download, i.e., you can not download a bunch of
> data at one time to be analyzed over a period of time.  (You do
> download the software all at once, though.)

This a quote from the Windows help file of SETI@home:

<<SETI@home actually consists of two parts:  an "application"
and a "screensaver". The application does all the work:  it
downloads blocks of data from through the Internet, performs
the number crunching on that data (looking for orderly
patterns that might be artificial), returns the results, and
gets another block of data.  The application is represented
by a green radio telescope icon in the System Tray (normally
at the lower right of your screen).  You can open the appli-
cation window by double-clicking on this icon.

The screensaver program runs when you haven't used your key-
board or mouse for a while.  It displays color pictures
showing the data analysis process.  Normally the application
processes data only when the screensaver is running.
Optionally, you can have the application process data all
the time>>

> In my case, as I see it, I would have to leave my modem on and
> connected for this to work.  As I share my modem with the
> rest of the telephones in my house, this would not be acceptable.

You do not have to be connected all the time to use [log in to unmask]
You can connect when needed.When your computer has finished analyzing
a block of data ( which may take more than 30 hours) the SETI@home icon
will flash reminding you it is time to connect to send the results back to
the SETI@home
server and download a new block of data for processing.

HTH
Marc Olivier Rafanelli

" There is a crack in everything
     That's how the light gets in "