From:
Bruce Lund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2010 06:42:54 -0700
I know a lot of you do this for a living so I am trying to figure out what is fair. I have an eMachines D2880 running XP that crashed. The power supply was bad which I replaced myself, but that did not revive the computer so I took it to a local shop. Because I didn't want to lose programs et al I agreed to pay for replacement mother board installation which ran $200 (not to mention being in the shop for an extended period of time.)

Since then, I have had numerous program and system crashes. (BSOD) They are saying there were system problems before, which might be true, but the computer was NOT crashing. Biggest issue was Firefox hanging up. But now neither the computer or programs on it are stable.

Oddly, Firefox crashed incessantly after the repair (could be 10 times in an hour), but that mirrored the problem I had on multiple computers I used at the library while mine was in the shop. Hadn't had the problem before. And (knock on wood) it has been OK for the last couple days.

Even  though this is an eMachine, after the new motherboard was installed, an HP splash screen appears on boot up. Could that have something to do with it?

At any rate, is it fair of me to expect my computer to work at least as well following this repair as it did before? Or did I throw away $250, including the power supply?

Bruce

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml