Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:36:40 +1200
There's an excellent program for transferring IE\OE stuff which I use freguently - it's eBackup from InAchis, here:
http://www.inachis.com

As well as mail, addresses and Favorites, you can also move other data folders.  However, I just use the basic facilities, it seems to do that best.

You'll need to install eBackup on both machines.  On older PC's you may need to install the newer MS Windows Installer before eBackup will install, but they provide a link to it.

After you run it on the source machine you'll still need some way to get the compressed file across to the target PC.

You can either do this with a CDRW, and if the old machine doesn't have one but the new one does, perhaps you could shift the CD unit temporarily?  It should be a simple job.

Failing that, if both machines have USB ports, you could use a USB transfer cable.  This is a useful device to keep on hand, in any case.

Another alternative depends on both machines having network cards.

Someone suggested shifting the hard drives temporarily.  This is definitely a solution but there's a few things to watch out for.  The first is that the host computer might get confused by the presence of two Windows systems.  It's not really likely that this will occur but I've seen it happen.

There's a way around this but it needs a lengthy explanation - ask again if you need it.

It also requires a certain amount of fiddling with jumpers and cables.

If you decide to do this, I'd suggest you still run eBackup.  It makes transferring mail files and addresses a no-brainer instead of an irksome task.

Note:  For anyone transferring Outlook files, it's a whole different ballgame.  The best prog for this is Geniesoft Outlook Backup from here:
http://www.genie-soft.com/products/olb/default.html

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

  From:Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 12:17 AM
  Subject: [PCBUILD] Transfering files to new computer

  I've just successfully assembled a ASUS P4P800 Deluxe mobo running a 2.8
  with 800MHz FSB.  I'm now ready to transfer the "stuff" from my old computer
  to the new.  I will only be transferring data files as I'm pretty much
  installing all new applications.  I know how to export/import my IE
  favorites, but I'm not so sure about how to transfer all my OE stuff
  including existing saved e-mails.  I've collected several posts over the
  last year on how to most efficiently transfer the data files directly from
  the old HD (3 GB) to the new (120 GB).  One by Tom Turak suggests standing
  the existing boxes next to other, disconnecting the CD IDE from the new and
  connecting the old HD to the secondary IDE.  Another by Joe Lore suggests
  physically removing the old HD and placing it in the new box as the
  secondary IDE again with the new CD/DVD devices disconnected.

  I can see they are essentially similar approaches  but does one have less
  potential for trouble than the other?

  My old HD is probably formatted as FAT16 (built by Dell in November 1996).
  When I click on properties (W95) it only says FAT.  My new system is running
  XP Pro with a NFST format.  Will this be a problem?

  Lastly I will only be transferring about 500 MB of files and could do this
  with 100 MB Zip files moved to my Athlon machine which has a burner and then
  move them as a disk to the new machine.  Is that safer?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml