From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 08:16:06 -0800
Let's get this one settled. As Jim Meagher explained well, there is an
INTERNAL speed between the computer and the modem. IF you set this speed
lower, such as even 56k, then the modem may not be getting data as fast as
it needs. This will result in slower communications. You should set this
INTERNAL speed of the COM port to 115200 to ensure that the COM setting is
not slowing the modem down.

The EXTERNAL speed of the modem depends on the modem, communications
software, and the telephone line conditions. Recognize that a 56K modem can
at best do 56K only in the download. Sending from your computer to your ISP
is still limited to a maximum of 33.6K even for a 56K modem. There is no way
that your internal settings will speed your modem up beyond its capability,
you can only slow it down. This is what was mentioned in the message from
([log in to unmask]) - by setting the internal speed at 56k, the COM
port was slowing things down.

Not all parts of the country can support 56K. In our area, we are lucky to
get 33.6K!

Peter Shkabara, P.E.
Computer Science Instructor
Rogue Community College, Grants Pass, OR
http://www2.rogue.cc/pshkabara