From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 07:23:52 -0400
WD has a bunch of utilities and some will work on "any" drive.
Some will work on "any" drive ONLY IF it can find a WORKING WD drive
in the system.  And some of the lower level utilities will ONLY work on a
WD drive and (may) tell you the "other" drive(s) are not supported.
If I remember correctly, this specific utility falls into the last category.
In any event, (as in lots of computer things) there is no one answer unless
you get very specific. (You were...)
Note the "Catch 22" in finding a "working WD drive" category...
Some times you can't test a drive because it is not working. An interesting twist.
                                   Rick Glazier

> > Russell,
> >  The group might also like to know about the diagnostic program on WD's
> > website.It claims to test most brands of hard drives and is free.
>

>    I thought that file was written to only test WD drives: "Our
> diagnostic was written specifically for Western Digital EIDE hard
> drives" (http://www.wdc.com/service/diagnostics.html)
>
>    Have anyone ever used it on another manufacturer's model?

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html