From:
Everick Holder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 20:34:07 -0500
I recently tried to use direct cable connection with my laptop with
windows98 installed, and a system at my office with windows95 installed. The
system at the office is on a network but has a printer attached. I
disconnected the printer cable and attached the direct connection cable
(which came with the laptop) to the office puter and my laptop.
When I tried to make the connection, neither of the two puters saw each
other. However the office puter said that it was connected by the LPT 1 port
and the laptop couldn't connect.

The laptop also gave the following message " unable to load *msnp32.dll*
System cannot find the specified file"

I got fed up, closed down both systems and disconnected. Now here is the
problem.
Since then, every time I boot up the laptop, I get the following message;
"the windows registry or system.ini file refers to this file, but the device
file no longer exists. if deliberately removed uninstall the program using
it's uninstaller or setup program. If needed reinstall the application
associated with the device file. Reinstalling the application will replace
the missing file". The two files  are
vredir.vxd and dfs.vxd.

I didn't delete anything. I just closed down direct cable connection and
exited. Can any one think of what went wrong, and how I can get rid of this
message from my laptop at boot up?

Everick Holder.

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com