From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:03:15 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Lindstrom, Rick <[log in to unmask]>

>Hello All-
>
>I heard an interesting rumor from my ISP that I thought I'd pass along to
>the list-
>
>It seems that Intel is losing so much business to the Super Socket 7
market
>(read that probably as "AMD"), that it made deals with Aopen (Acer) and
>Epox to buy the rights to their mobos that use the Socket 7 format. I
doubt
>that this means that they will be producing the boards, but rather
keeping
>them off the market. My source intimated that Aopen and Epox were willing
>to do this because they are about to release new boards soon anyway and
>won't be losing much.
>
>Sad, *if* true, that it's better business to sell out to a competitor
than
>to keep a good product on the market for the consumer.

Why keep a "good product" on the market if you have a better product
coming?

**WE** the consumers have given businesses the mandate to develop newer
and better products all the time.  **WE** the buying public have an
insatiable need to satisfy our ego by buying the
newest/biggest/shiniest/fastest/tallest/anything-est thing-a-ma-bob just
as soon as it hits the store.  The auto industry has hypnotized us into
thinking that we are social outcasts if we don't have a new car every two
years.  And the PC industry has refined that to the point where we have
withdrawal pangs if we don't upgrade every year.

>Evidently, the availability of Super Socket 7 boards may dry up for
awhile
>until the new models arrive (3-4 months, according to my rumor-monger).

There are soooo many MoBo manufacturers, that I doubt if two minor
(mid-level?) players can have that kind of effect on the market.

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>