From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 03:11:11 -0500
At 18:51 12/18/98 -0700, Steve Face wrote:
>I am upgrading from a 200MMX configuration to a Celeron 300A. I also
>want to use this opportunity to upgrade my HD. My first question is
>how to reliably copy my master HD to the new HD...
>My second question is what to expect when the new system boots from
>the cloned HD. At best, I predict removing the Registry files and
>rebuilding through a reinstall of Wndows 98.

You could use Partition Magic 4 (or one of Powerquest's other utilities,
Drive Copy or Drive Image) to copy partitions from one drive to the
other. IMO, PM4 is a program well worth getting if you will have more
than one partition in your system.

As you mentioned, you could use "XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /R /I /C /H /K /E /Y"
from the Run Menu in Win9X. (Using XCOPY from other places can leave
you open to problems. Don't use xcopy32.)

After you have copied everything and physically changed the drives
around, you'll have to set the primary partition on the new drive
"active" (bootable) by booting from a Win98 Startup diskette and using
"Fdisk". (You can do this with PM4 *before* switching the drives. )

As for switching motherboards, I have preserved my Windows installation
through two motherboard swaps by booting into Safe Mode and deleting all
devices from Device Manager|System. You have to do this before powering
down for the last time with the old motherboard. When you first boot with
the new motherboard, everything will be detected anew. And after you sort
out any conflicts, all your settings and programs should be preserved.

Someone else wrote:
>Actually I think the best method is to boot into safe mode, go into
>device manager and delete everything there.  This way Windows itself
>deletes all registry keys relating to hardware (not just the ones in
>enum).  Safe mode is required because that's the only way you can see
>all devices, including old ones mentioned in the registry, and there
>won't be any protected mode drivers complaining when you do it.

Many people say you can get the same effect if you delete the whole
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ENUM registry key right before powering down for
the last time with your old motherboard installed.

There is also a method mentioned at
http://www.billsworkshop.com/techtips/cleaninstall.html
for reinstalling windows which will preserve your currently installed
programs.

Regards,
Bill

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]