From:
"Jal E. Montero" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:02:22 -0700
Hello all,
The other day I was trying out a motherboard which is an Elitegroup
K7VTA3 v5.0.  I wanted to have it on my system since it has the newer USB
2.0 on it. It also uses the newer DDR rams for its main memory.  My old
motherboard is an Iwill kk266r, that has a 640mb PC 133 RAM   I swapped
my AMD Athlon 1000 CPU to use the K7VTA3 mobo, and also using a 128 DDR
PC2100 on it.

Since I noticed that it has slowed down the loading of my applications, I
decided to just revert back to my old configuration using my old kk266r
motherboard.  But in the process of cleaning out and replacing the
thermal compound on the CPU, I accidentally spread it on some of the
other parts of the CPU other than the die and tried to remove them as
best as I can using isopropyl alcohol, paper towel and cotton buds.  And
when everything was back in place, I fired-up the machine and it would
not boot unless I push on the reset button on the front panel of the
tower casing.  Could the spread of the thermal compound have damaged my
CPU?  Everything is back to normal though after it is able to boot.

I have tried isolating the other cards and ram on my system and also
changed some settings on my bios but all of it did not help as well.  I
also took out the battery on my CMOS to clear it but it also did not
help.  Could my CPU or motherboard have gone bad after messing the
application of the Thermal compound?

I apologize for the long post but I need your help very much since this
is the only machine I have and am using right now.  I'd really appreciate
any help you could extend with this problem.

Thank you very much,
Jal