From:
Dave Gibson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 01:51:42 -0400
Cesar, sorry to be late to respond, and don't know if your question
has been answered, so I apologize if covering familiar territory.

ICS will only work if installed on *one* machine on your network. If
it is installed on both machines, one will automatically be disabled
by Windows -- it won't permit two gateways. I believe this is covered
in the ICS documentation. So, the answer is....you've got to make just
one the gateway.

Now, for Ralph Willing's question....

Internet Connection Sharing is a component of Windows 98SE and ME (or
so I've heard about ME). It must be installed on the machine you
designate as the gateway. The other clients can have Windows 95 or 98
installed, it doesn't matter. However, as far as I'm aware, ICS will
still not work with AOL, at least in terms of AOL being the connection
for the gateway machine. That is, you must have a typical ISP other
than AOL.

If you like AOL and still want to access its content, you could
connect via your regular ISP, then use AOL's "LAN" connection to
access it. If you go this route, be sure to tell AOL you want to use
the "Bring Your Own Access" method, which I believe is still 9.95 a
month for unlimited access. In some cases, if you have trouble dialing
into AOL and can get access for $10-12 a month, you can have the best
of both worlds -- better dialup access and still get AOL for a total
price of $22, the same price you would pay for unlimited AOL access.

In my opinion, humble though it may be, graduate to a full-blown ISP
and enjoy!

HTH,
Dave Gibson