From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 19:10:13 -0800
At one time I thought I discovered XCOPY32 to perform long filename copies.
As it turns out, xcopy32 should never be used by itself. XCOPY will make use
of XCOPY32 if the environment supports the extra features that are possible.

Here is what Bill Cohane wrote on the PCSOFT list last September:
Here is something that I posted to PCSOFT almost a year ago:

The program xcopy32 has two parts. A 16 bit part (sort of a limited
edition) that works when xcopy32 thinks that it was called from a
DOS environment and the full (32 bit) version that works when
xcopy32 perceives that it is being run within the Win95 GUI.

If you run xcopy32 after booting from a floppy, or running Win95 in
DOS mode, or after booting to Command Prompt Only, or even from a
DOS prompt (within Win95) where the box "Prevent MS-DOS based
programs from detecting Windows" is checked, xcopy32 will not run
with the full set of switches.

Raymond Chen ([log in to unmask]), the author of xcopy, has posted
about this program in the comp.os.ms-windows.apps.utilities.win95
newsgroup. The following (from several of Raymond's posts) is quoted:

Don't run xcopy32 directly. Ever. Always run xcopy.
Xcopy.exe...sets up a few things and then runs Xcopy32 with the
appropriate settings...

If you are running in Windows mode, xcopy runs the 32-bit version of
xcopy32.exe.  If you are running in DOS mode, xcopy runs the 16-bit
version of xcopy32.exe.  (Yes, xcopy32.exe is two, two, two programs
in one.) If you look carefully, xcopy.exe is a tiny little program.
Xcopy is just a little front-end for xcopy32, which is where all the
real work happens... It was a mistake to give that other file the name
"xcopy32.exe".  I should've called it "xcopy.mod"...
Xcopy.exe is the only program you should run.

I was given five days to add LFN support to Xcopy...I did what I could
in the time I had...it was easier to add the /h option to the Win95
version than the DOS version. (The DOS version is written in assembly
language. The Win95 version is written in C.)....I had some time left
over, so I added /H and /K and /L and a few other switches to the
32-bit version.

If you are running in DOS mode, then only the DOS xcopy features are
available. Xcopy handles everything, *provided* you run it from within
the Windows 95 GUI. The /H and /K options are supported only in Windows
95 mode.

<<<<<<<

Regards,
Bill