From:
Neil Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 13:07:02 -0500
I have just installed XP Pro on a new hd and
am trying to make it work as well as the
Win 98SE hd in the same computer as regards
connecting to the Internet.

I have dialup access and I am next door to
a wifi hot spot (a coffee house). Under 98SE
my Linksys WUB11 USB external antenna gets
up to 42% of signal which provides good Internet
access as well as SMPT incoming and outgoing.
The Linksys WUSB11 software for Win 98 provides
a splash screen with a refresh button to check
signal strength.

However, under XP Pro, there is no Linksys
splash screen with signal strength and refresh.
Opening the Linksys icon in the tool bar shows
simply a list of hotspots detected.

I cant (yet) make a connection to the coffee
house signal; it seems that under
XP the Linksys
antenna connects by default to the strongest
signal which is an encrypted commercial wifi
hotspot and you get their signup Web page.

My questions: is there better hardware/software
than the Linksys WUSB11 external antenna that
you might recommend and is there any online
documentation on how to better implement wifi
access under XP Pro?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Neil Ross

                     visit our download web page at: