From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:30:02 -0800
On 27 Oct 98 at 13:22, Ryo Imamura wrote:

> Is there a command to hang up using a modem?  Sometimes I call my
> company mainframe to check email, which occasionally locks up.
> When I quit and get back into Windows 95, I find out the modem is
> still connected and cannot get online again until it hangs up.  On
> the bottom right of the Windows screen, the black rectangular icon
> with the 2 red and green lights is present, so I know the modem is
> still connected.  How do I get unconnected besides rebooting?

  There's an "AT" command, ATH, to hang up; this can take a couple of
seconds.  Most modem software will try that *if* the modem doesn't
drop the line when the PC drops the DTR (Data Terminal Ready) signal;
for years, this has been a standard configuration of modems although
there are ways to turn it off.

  The problem is really a step up from there.  If you still see the
icon you describe, Windows still thinks some process is using the
modem -- and so it's not about to let you get in there and screw it
up.

  One of the advantages of external modems is that you can reset them
-- even if this means turning the power off and back on -- without
rebooting the PC.  It should be possible to put a reset switch on an
internal modem, but I don't know of any company that has done so.
  Even if this gets the modem hung up, you need to also kill the task
that Windows thinks has exclusive access to the modem, before it will
let you start a new connection to/thru it.  Maybe a reboot isn't such
a bad idea.

David G

                                  -----