From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 08:04:14 -0400
Folks have already provided many very good suggestions about running  proxy
server software, so let me just add an alternative suggestion.  I am using
the LinkSys Fast Ethernet Broadband Router/Switch to connect a couple of
computers up to one ADSL connection.  I think this is a very good solution
for a couple of computers that are used mainly for things like surfing the
net and email.  It does seem to have some configuration limitations if you
need to open lots of TCP and UDP ports for internet traffic of a more
intensive two way nature (eg NetMeeting and some games).  In that case,
perhaps a more expensive router/hub, like the Umax would be better (no
direct experience to say for sure).  However, I have only found one game so
far (Superbike 2000) for which I couldn't seem to configure this router so I
could play over the internet.

My own thinking is to eventually set up a Linux Router box as a kind of
project to learn more about Linux and networking, but it is nice to have an
instant solution while I go about this more complex solution at a leisurely
pace.  My thinking would be to then hook the Linux Router up to a hub rather
than try to chain together the the workstations.

John