Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2007 21:37:19 EDT

In a message dated 7/1/2007 2:34:15 PM Atlantic Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

How  would I set up a laptop  internet connection;  where i can take my
laptop anywhere and use it online?
I have a gateway laptop;
I also have  xyxel  dsl with earthlink.net;
I have seen people p;aying poker online  even in a car;  and take laptop
wherever they go;  pick up  surrounding signals?
doesn't it have to be connected through a phone  someway?

You can get a wireless reciever for a laptop or desktop that can, as you
say, pick up a surrounding signal but signals can be hard to find especially in
remote areas since there must be a wireless router in the area to broadcast
the  signal. Also many routers are set to require a password to connect.while
some  are "free" to use. The laptop wireless software will tell you if there is
a  signal present and there are devices as small as a keychain which have a
light  that flashes if a signal is present.
 The hotel where I work has an "open" signal because our routers are
connected directly to the cable which supplies our internet connection  instead of
running through a dedicated computer. Apparently this has caused  difficulties
in setting up a working password. The owner asks lurkers in the  parking lot to
leave quite often! Other buisnesses offer their connection freely  on purpose
(although it is usually intended for their customers).

 -Phillip Williams-