From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:39:25 -0500
> I have an old calendar program (Delrina Daily Planner) that I like very
> much and I would like to keep using.  It uses the PC Speaker to play
> different sounds as alarms for upcoming events.  I would like to route
> the PC Speaker alarms through my Sound Card instead.  I am thinking
> about just clipping my PC Speaker and running the wires over to an open
> input on the sound card but I thought I would check and see if anyone is
> aware of a software program or driver that would allow me to play PC
> Speaker sounds through my Sound Card (without having to buy a new sound
> card)?  If not, I will just cut the speaker wires and run it physically
> to my sound card?

        It depends on how your program generates sound, if it is just beeps then it
should work, however you can't just cut the wires and connect it. Most PC
motherboards simply turn on and off a 5V switch to drive the speaker, this
is much more than what a typical PC sound card input is designed to except,
you may even blocw the sound card input. What you have to do is to lower the
signal level to something the sound card likes. A cheap and dirty way of
doing this is to use two resistors in a voltage divider config to make the
0-5V range of the speaker output correspond to the 0-1V (ignoring the
negative edge, i'ts not important here since most PC sound card inputs are
AC coupled). I'd suggest using resistors of lower value, in the 100-200 ohm
range. To get the right ratio use something like a 47Ohm and a 200Ohm.
Connect the 200Ohm resister between the red speaker lead and the sound card
"tip" input. Connect the other resister between the "tip" and the "ring"
input of the sound card, and connect the black lead from the speaker to the
"ring". I have never tried this so I make no promises as to this working
properly, however it should not destroy the input of your sound card.
        FWIW most newer sound cards have a PC speaker input on them, perhaps you'd
consider switching to one of them. TTYL

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>