From:
James Maki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:54:27 -0800

Bill,

I did exactly that. Installed WinXP Pro on a new machine and immediately
made an image using Ghost thinking that if I needed to do a complete
re-install, the WinXP part would be effortless. I did this BEFORE
activation. When I attempted to use that image on the same machine about a
year later, I ran into problems. It balked since it was past the 30 day
activation window but never allowed me the opportunity to activate. Rather
than fuss with it, I used a later image that had been taken after
activation. That one worked perfectly.

If you have your hardware setup (don't plan on adding/changing lots of
peripherals -- I believe the NIC and video card count a lot towards the
magic activation number), I see no reason not to activate immediately and
then take an image. I have done several re-installs and many hardware
upgrades and never had an issue with activation.

I have used Ghost (version included with SystemWorks 2003 Professional) to
make images and re-install the operating system many times on activated
systems and it works flawlessly. I have my disk set up with the operating
system on one partition, programs on another, and data on several others.
Therefore, I can image my C: (OS) and E: (programs) partitions in about
20-30 minutes and re-install in about the same. This can get me up and
running from a bad install, registry problem, viral infestation (hasn't
happened yet), or other borked OS problems in less than an hour. I highly
recommend it. BTW, I back up data to a separate partition and eventually to
CD or DVD, storing important data offsite.

Hope this answers your questions.

Jim Maki

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml