From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 00:25:46 -0700
On 6 Sep 2005 at 14:43, Edward A, Black, Sr. wrote:

> I obtained a Promise Ultra 100 TX2  PCI-IDE card in hopes it could
> handle extra drives for me. Will the Ultra100 work on my ASUS P3B-F? or
> do I need to go for an Ultra66?

  UDMA controllers are available in at least three speeds:  Ultra66,
Ultra100, and Ultra133.  Each includes the ability to handle drives of a
lower speed, so Ultra66 would be a step back from Ultra100.

  When the BIOS "boot from" selection says "SCSI", it really means any
bootable adapter card; I have a system here with an Ultra100 controller
which boots with its first drive as C: because the BIOS is set that way.

> But if I wish to use the 20Gig as my "C" drive, and if the ASUS P3B-F
> board has a 8.4G limit [I was told by someone that a limit of 8.4Gig
> on HD size might exist], how would I do it?

  If there is such a limit in the BIOS of the board, then the on-board BIOS
extention ROm on the Ultra controller card should avoid it.

> If I hooked my first 2 drives [a 8.4 Gig & a 6.4Gig] to the Primary IDE
> slot [one as master other as slave]  and my CD-RW and CD-Rom on the
> secondary IDE port, would I need to put the 20Gig as a master on an IDE
> port on the Ultra100 in order to use all 20 Gigs?

  So yes, I would expect that as master on an Ultra controller, all 20 GB
would be available to you.

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com