From:
Don Kendrew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 22:00:13 -0400
I recently reformatted and installed Win 98, version #1 on a friend's AMD
350 with 6.4 GB HDD, 192 Mb Ram, ATI 4 Mb video, SB 16bit Audio.

He has had the computer for about two months, and has recently discovered
that he cannot play a mpeg video file. . . also if he downloads an mpeg
from the net it shows up on his HDD as a .vps file.

Trying to open either this .vbs, or an mpeg he receives the following message:

"MMSYSTEM296 The file cannot be played on the specified MCI device. The
file may be corrupt, or not in the correct format."

The only thing he can tell me is that he installed the latest Window's
Media Player, did not like it, and uninstalled it, using an uninstall utility.

We do not know if this condition was in evidence right after the
installation of Win98 or not. . . it had not occurred to us to check this
out right after the install.

Any suggestions?

Don Kendrew

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: