From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 11:18:01 -0400
On Wednesday 17 April 2002 06:55 pm, Tomas Santos wrote:
> I've just installed Mandrake Linux 8.1(workstation), but I'm a total newbie
> re this OS. Upon trying to set up DUN via 56K modem it requires I input IP
> address & DNS. What is it & how do I get this info & where should I look?
> Any input I greatly appreciate. I've written my ISP and have yet to receive
> a response. TIA.
>
> Tomas Santos

Tomas:
Here's a couple of suggestions:
1. Try a phone call to your ISP -- much faster than snail mail.
2. Some ISP's post the settings on their website. If yours does, be sure to
print it out for future reference.
3. If you are dual booting between windows and Mandrake, you can find the
information in Windows. In 98SE, it goes like this: Open control panel.
Choose Internet Options, then Connections. Highlight your ISP account, select
Settings, Properties, Server Types, and finally TCP/IP settings.
4. Back to Mandrake. Assuming that you're using the KDE desktop: If there's
an Internet icon on your desktop, click on it to bring up the KPPP dialer.
Open Settings and fill in the data. If you don't have the Internet icon,
click on the K-wheel icon, and choose Networking, Remote Access, and then
Internet Dialler. Again, open Settings, fill in the data, and you should be
good  to go.
HTH,
Carroll Grigsby

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: