From:
Eric Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:39:24 -0500
This is more the way I'm leaning. I found an article on freepctech.com about
the poor man's remote by Drew (?). I've checked out the VNC program at

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/start.html

I installed it and played with it over the network. Anyone with practical
experience using this for what I'm talking about? We're talking about 1 to 4
hours max daily controlling the remote computer doing normal work and
some systems diagnostics. I seem to be able to do just about anything on the
remote machine. This is pretty cool software!

I think I can do most of what I need with this program. My questions now are:

1. If this will function well enough over 56K or should I go for ADSL? Since
it's only controling the display on the remote machine at work (by the way,
my home and work are in the same city) there's not too much traffic loading
programs, etc. just controlling the remote screen of the computer.

2. The security issue. They talk about ways to make it secure on the site but
does this significantly slow down the operation? If I run it over 56K, is there
that much danger of intrusion?

Thanks again for your help with this!
Eric Johnson

-------

> 2) Windows Terminal Server
> This we use every day to enter and print orders. It allows access to
> main server also 300 miles away. We log into windows server software.

This is a bit different beast. It allows your mouse, keyboard, and screen to
connect to a Windows "session" running on a remote box -- all application
processing takes place at the server end. This can be useful if, for instance,
you need to work with an order-entry system that was never designed for
remote access.

David Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml