From:
Bill Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 06:22:54 -0800
Hello group -

I'm new here, and it looks like we have a pretty smart audience, so here goes my first question:

I reformatted the HD on my wife's computer recently, and the reinstall of WIN98 went just fine.  The system properly identified all of the plug & play cards except for my graphics video card, and after downloading a current driver for that, the vid card installed OK too.

The only problem was that the Phoenix 56K modem (that was still in the case) no longer worked properly.  The old modem installed on COM 1, but I couldn't get it to work at all, even though it installed - but the diagnostic test indicated that it was not communicating properly w/the comp.

So, yesterday I went out and bought a new US Robotics 56K modem, and THIS time, the modem installed correctly - on COM 2 (don't know why this new modem used a different COM port), but in any case, the diagnostic test showed that the comp was communicating w/the new modem just fine.

Here's the problem -  The modem dials up and attempts to communicate with my local ISP, but it never quite makes the connection properly.  It keeps cycling through the faster and faster tones (know what I mean?), like 2 or 3 times, but never actually connects.

My personal computer has no problem connecting to my ISP, so I don't have a clue as to why this new modem can't connect.  Any clues "out there" as to why this new modem can't do it?

Thanks - Bill Todd