From:
Michael Tabak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 12:30:26 -0400
>I've still got a conflict of some sort going on with the Hard disk
>controllers.  In Device Manager under Hard disk controllers it lists:
Primary
>IDE controller (single fifo) and then Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller.
>There's a yellow exclamation by the primary IDE controller.When I check the
>properties for the Primary IDE controller it says "This device is not
present,
>not working properly or does not have all the drivers installed"

Here is how I solved a similar problem several months ago (on a computer
with two hard drives):

When I installed a new hard drive on my computer under Windows 95, the
computer ran on Compatibility Mode Paging instead of 32-bit.  When I used
Control Panel, System, Device
Manager, Hardware, the new hard disk controller and the two subsidiary ones
were  listed, but with yellow exclamation points, showing that there was a
problem.

When I tried removing the controller in Control Panel, the computer hung,
and the same controller with the same problem got reinstalled on reboot.
What finally happened was that I could not access either hard drive, and
booting halted.

To cure this, when prompted, I hit the F1 key to boot to a rescue floppy disk.

I also hit DEL during bootup, to access the SETUP.  I found that under
PNP/PCI (plug-and-play), Primary IDE Int and Secondary IDE Int had been
reset by the computer
to A and B drives, so I reset them to C and D.

I also finally went to the registry, to the keys for the hard disk
controllers. They were at My
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\hdc\

From there, I deleted all unneeded controller entries.

Then, finally, I was able to delete (from Control Panel) the
yellow-exclamation-marked hard disk controller entry.

On reboot, Win95 correctly detected the hard disk controller, and properly
installed the call to ESDI_506.pdr, which provides 32-bit file access for
faster computing.

I found this a rather hair-raising experience, but the hard drives have
worked since then.

--
Regards - Michael Tabak - [log in to unmask]

                                  -----