From:
Oscar Viñas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 17:42:55 -0400
OEM-Original Equipment Manufacturer.
I think it was already explained in previous messages, so I will concentrate
in the other questions.

DDR-Double Data Rate SDRAM.
There are different technologies for Random Access Memory (RAM) chips:
SRAM-Static RAM, used for cache chips, and DRAM-Dynamic RAM, used for main
read-write system memory. Among DRAM there had been used different
technologies as well, mainly:
FPM DRAM-Fast Page Mode DRAM used in early systems up to Pentium Pro.
EDO RAM-Extended Data Out RAM used in most Pentium to Pentium Pro systems.
SDRAM-Synchronous Dynamic RAM used after 1997 and in most systems today in
form of DIMM modules (DIMM-Dual In-line Memory Module).
New types of memory chips have been proposed and used in the last two years:
RDRAM-Rambus Dynamic RAM and DDR SDRAM-Double Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic
RAM.
DDR SDRAM is an evolutionary design of SDRAM in which data is transferred
twice per transfer cycle, once at the leading (falling) and once at the
trailing (rising) edge of the cycle. This way the transfer rate is
effectively doubled, even though the same overall clock and timing signals
are used. So, "...system bus 100MHz DDR..." as you write, could mean a
motherboard with the system bus at 100MHz and which uses DDR SDRAM memory.

GTL-Gunning Transceiver Logic.
It is the logic used by Intel that began to be used in Pentium II processors
on Slot 1 and let it run the main system bus at 100MHz and more (now 133).
Previous connectors used in CPUs such as Socket 7 and Socket 8 could only
allow communication between the processor and the chipset (and RAM) at a
maximum of 66MHz.

Oscar Viñas
University of Camaguey.
Cuba.