From:
Gary R Tennesen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:47:36 -0800
I just used trial and error myself.

  Notice in my post that I burnt up 2 before I got one working.  In more detail, two ps worked for a day or so and then the clicking problem came back.  I had one, last ps in an old case and it has been the winner.

  Machine has been working with this PIII/AMD socketA style ps for about 5 months now with now problems.

  Another issue I was having with the weaker ps was that I could attempt to turn it on and it would only work every 7 or 8 tries.

  --gt

Jeff Long <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Gary,

I've read before that power supplies on emachines are the "weak link".

I have a couple of working Win 98 machines in a closet (just no longer
useful in today's computing world); if a power supply from one of those
physically fit the emachine case, could I use one? Do I need to worry
about voltage differences, ie, are the voltages used by the components
in the emachine within allowable tolerances as the components in one of
the Win 98 machines?

If the power supply will work, then I assume I just make the same
connections to mobo and other components? I'd diagram the current
connections to simplify reconnecting to the replacement power supply.

Thanks for the advice.

Jeff Long