From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 23:36:50 -0500
No problem. (I don't want one yet either.)
Other than the speed loss, which "when lost" is STILL faster than
a standard hard drive,  perhaps 2x as fast), I worry about the write cycles.

Flash drives can use several type of flash memory.
Some is long life, and some "wears out" quickly.
(To me a couple years is quickly...)
SSDs are somewhat the same. Real good memory will last better...
(Beware of real cheap SSD just like cheap flash drives.)

With the current production parts used, Intel says these drives will
last 5 years.
It is like a car though. Drive it more and it wears out quicker.
I don't try to remember this stuff, but I think they use 100G a day for that figure.
That seems high until you realize they are thinking about the "cutting edge"
type of user, and SERVERS using them.
The little old lady that only gets e-mail will be better served by a plain HD...
So YMMV, just like a car...

The Intel guys were all excited about this stuff last time I saw them
at an event...

Rick Glazier

From: "John Sproule"
> First of all, let me apologize for responding more to the general discussion
> about SSD drives than the original poster's question.  Like most folks here,
> I'm still in the reading about it phase, instead of being an experienced
> user when it comes to these drives.

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads