From:
Bill & Andrea Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 09:59:18 -0500
Greetings Frank;

        My limited experience with this issue leads me to believe that John
Chin is quite correct with his statement. However, with my Asus P2B, P2
266, 32X CD-ROM there was no difference (using Nuts and Bolts) with the
CD-ROM as slave to my one 6.4 gig HD, or as the secondary master.
        On my kids P75 with onboard controller, I have found the system much
faster with the HD and CD-ROM as masters on separate channels, although
I didn't use any software to confirm my observations.
        So, I suppose my comment is that for older systems it is far better to
keep the CD-ROM and HD on separate channels, while it doesn't seem to
matter with a new CD-ROM and HD on a motherboard with a BX chipset.

Bill

Francisco Novo Mesegue wrote:

> Hi PCBUILDers:
>
> Recently I read an article written by John Q. Chin, from the
> Nospin Group.,

> >"Finally, it should be noted that using a CD-ROM drive on the
> >same IDE channel as a hard drive will usually adversely affect
> >the performance of the hard drive.

> I then checked again some MOBOs and CDROMs manuals looking for
> some warnings about this matter. I found none and I am about to
> think that this is a tricky aspect of PCBUILDing.
> So my question is: Should a CDROM drive be connected (if possible)
> as Secondary Slave in the Secondary IDE Channel when the master
> HDD is at the primary IDE channel?

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>