From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2005 19:41:27 -0500
I don't think that this message has gotten a response, yet; so, I thought
that I would throw in 2 cents worth and see if it encouraged others to take
a stab at it.

For digital imaging and 2D graphics, I don't think that the kind of
horsepower that typical processors and video cards are capable of these days
will have much of problem with what you are interested in doing.  Looking at
CPUs, first, there probably isn't a big difference in terms of any
advantages between Intel's Pentium 4s and AMD's Athlon 64s.  Both now have
dual core options, though the Intel version (Pentium D) has a lower priced
option than the Athlons, which tend to offer higher end dual core
processors.  Since so little software is able to take advantage of a dual
processor environment, you'll only see an advantage with the dual core
processors if you are a heavy multi-tasker who is likely to have two CPU
intensive programs going at the sametime.

For motherboards, I'd first of all stick with a tier one manufacturer, such
as Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI.  Intel also makes boards for their own
processors, and these are well known for their stability.  The nforce4
motherboards seem to be the most popular AMD motherboards.  There is no need
for an SLI capable motherboard (two video card slots), since you are not
into computer games.  All the Athlon 64 motherboards are limited to 4GB max,
while I think some of the Intel motherboards are capable of handling even
more total memory than that.  (I think that you'd have to move on to AMD's
Opteron server line to find processors capable of handling more than 4 GB of
memory.  At least, I assume this is a processor limitation, since the memory
controller for AMDs new processors is integrated into the CPU.)

I'm not sure if there will be much difference in video cards with regard to
their ability to produce 2D imagery.  At least most of the competition
between consumer video cards is taking place in terms of their 3D rendering
for games.  Matrox use to have a reputation for making the best 2D cards,
but I'm not sure if this is still the case.  However, if I'm looking at the
right monitor, it appears your 36" Gateway is a CRT monitor with a maximum
resolution of 800x600.  It looks like the monitor takes a regular VGA
connection; so, I would think that just about any video card would be
adequate.  Whether you could hook up a game console to this monitor at the
same time will depend on whether the monitor has any other inputs, beside
the VGA connector.  Otherwise, you'll need a switch box, such as a KVM.

If adding another monitor, look for a video card that supports two monitors.
Many do these days.  Just because it has two video outputs (usually a VGA
and a DVI) doesn't necessarily mean that the card can run two monitors
simultaneously.  Look to see whether dual monitor support is present
specified.  (It is available on the MSI RX9250 TD128 that I recently
installed in a computer, for example.)  Be aware that some of the lower end
PCI-E video cards do not actually have that much video memory onboard, they
use system memory, instead.  Since you are not gaming, this probably doesn't
matter.  They still have at least 16mb of video memory onboard to act as a
cache.

For power supply, stick with a well known brand, such as Enermax.  You'll
want one that supports ATX 2, since this will be most compatible with the
newer PCI-E motherboards.  Something in the 450 watt range seems to be the
new standard, though you probably could get away with less, since you don't
need a monster 3D video card.

I think all motherboards come with onboard sound, and this will be adequate
for most uses, unless you are into games or are an audiophile.  The Audigy 2
ZS is a pretty good audio card, if you need one, though perhaps a bit
slanted to the gamer.  The BlueGears XMystique includes a dolby
decoder/encoder, if you need something more along those lines.