From:
Dave Ralph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:25:08 -0500
  A tech friend in Buffalo suggested Partition Magic or just moving all the
programs and data from the drive and then doing an Fdisk from scratc - just
what I hope to avoid having to do.  He suggested the latter after he used
PM about two years ago, and the computer he did it on slowed down
appreciably.  When he later removed PM, the computer speeded up.  This
leads me to wonder if PM really changes partition size or if it adds an
overlay to the HD requiring extra computing for each disk access, somewhat
in the manner of the overlays that disk compression software like Stacker
used.  Stacked drives got bigger and very much slower.

Dave Ralph

At 08:46 AM 11/13/03 -0800, you wrote:
>The problem is not in FAT 32, but in the conversion. Your FAT 16 was unable
>to support larger partitions, so you had a smaller one defined. When you
>converted to FAT 32, the capability for larger partitions was there, but the
>original definition of the partition remained. To change the partition
>without losing your data is what Partition Magic or Ranish Partition Manager
>are all about. Note that any dynamic repartitioning does carry some risk of
>data loss.
>
>Peter
>[log in to unmask] - http://gocolumbia.org/pesh

David E. Ralph
Chemung County Neighborhood Legal Services, Inc.
215 E. Church St., Ste 301
Elmira, NY 14901
VOX 607-734-1647 Ext. 205
FAX 607-734-1018