From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:45:09 -0400
Hi,

"Easily repaired and upgraded in the future"  is a phase that is really
over used in this industry.  When we are really ready to do an upgrade,
what is much newer, faster, and better, has taken over the industry and
changed the way things are done (hardware), and we can't find any of the
older (our) technology to fit what we have.

And how many times has that "easy repair" turned into a 3hr NIGHTMARE.

That said, most companies are on the right track using either an
standard ATX or UATX size board in their systems, but they don't make it
as easy as they could or should.

Though a company may use a standard UATX board, for instance, that seems
to fit the case just fine, things like where tall capacitors are
physically located on the board can cause problems with the power supply
mounting, the type of connector that is used to hook up front panel
switches and lights can be unique to that brand, or even the way the
power supply and on/off switch are attached can be a problem.

For true upgradeability and ease of repair go to a local computer dealer
and have him make
A system for you with brand name quality components.  Buy the largest
hard drive, fastest processor, and most memory you can afford.  A little
extra up front will save more later.

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore
==============================

A friend wants to buy a new computer and has requested my help.

Since I have not bought a computer in over 15  years, I am at a loss in
some regards, so I am seeking help.

My concern is that she purchases a computer that can be easily repaired
and upgraded in the future.  I have read on this list that some
computers have proprietary cases and motherboards, which do not take
standard ATX form factor motherboards.

Some friends have recommended that she purchase an H-P.
Does H-P use standard motherboards?

Same question for Gateway, Dell, and Compaq.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com