From:
"Lance W. Kephart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 12:59:47 -0600
Having problems with Windows 95 running, and it seems to be related to the onboard cache.  I'm hoping someone has come across this.  If not, I'm certainly open to suggestions:

Basic System:
AMD K6 2 350Mhz
DFI Motherboard: K6BV3+
VIA MVP3 chipset
WD HD - 4GB
Samsung floppy
Trident 3DImage 9750 video card
Win95 OSR2

What happened:
I was unable to boot to a floppy loading himem & emm386, but could boot if I bypassed those. I tried some of the command switches like /testmem: off, but still no luck.  Then I remembered reading someplace about disabling cache on the motherboard.  Once I did that, I could boot and install and configure Win95......slowly.

Now I enabled cache again, and Windows hangs at the splash screen, with the bar running on the bottom.  I let it sit as long as 30 minutes once.  Disable cache again, and it comes up....slowly.

What I've done:
Ran diagnostics (ForeFront's Troubleshooter) on board, CPU, memory & cache and didn't find anything wrong.

FDISK /mbr HD, for GP.  I've thought about running WD's diagnostics on the HD, and writing 0's to the drive and reinstalling everything, but I'm not that frustrated yet, nor do I think that might be the problem.  One never knows, though!

I've installed the latest BIOS patch that DFI had on their web site, but it didn't address this problem.  I've checked MS Knowledge base, and they have a patch for AMD 350's (and faster) that addresses crashes, but it didn't address this problem, so I haven't installed it yet.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Lance Kephart

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,