From:
Bruce Lund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2012 15:14:12 -0700
OK, I am looking at a DSL installation in a home that has not had wired phone service for a number of years. It would appear that wires from the old, small, traditional AT & T phone connection box on the back of the house were cut in favor of a larger AT & T box that has a large cable coming out of it, with a long length inside the home which terminates with a connector similar to an old time printer connector. (Doesn't help that the connector is damaged.) I presume a previous resident had AT & T service that included their version of cable.

If the issue was phone service, I would just order the service and pay for inside wiring maintenance for the first couple months until I could confirm the phone service was up and running and wiring was good to go. However, AT & T does not offer that option for DSL.

Soooooooooo, I was wondering what options I have. Inside the big AT & T box which apparently is the most recently used, there are 4 traditional phone type jacks lined up vertically inside the right side of the box, and there are short "phone lines" plugged into them. Because I know nothing about DSL wiring, and even less about AT & T's U-verse technology, I am in a quandary. Do I order the service in hopes one of those "jacks" is DSL "hot" in which case I would run a phone wire from that? Do I pay a hundred bucks or more for a technician to come out?

Sorry I don't have more specifics but my understanding of DSL has always been that you simply plug your DSL router into a regular phone jack and you should be good to go. (Not even sure that is accurate.) But now I have this box outside that looks nothing like the old phone company connection and I am at a total loss.

Maybe I should go with Dish Network?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Bruce

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: