From:
"Nasser, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 09:45:11 -0600
Subject: Re: Celeron vs. Pentium

It seems to me that Intel for years has developed/implemented
a single core cpu design for both "Pentium" and "Celeron".
Then they vary odds and ends to differentiate the two
primarily for marketing reasons.

If you were to order your 70 systems today, they would most
likely have "Pentium III"-class cpu's. These have .18
micron core cpu technology for both "Pentium" and "Celeron".

"The guts are functionally identical". However, the PIII
has 256k L2 cache while the Cel. has only 128k. And newer
PIII's are designed to run on a 133 mhz memory bus, while
the Cel. is nominally designed to run on a 66 mhz bus.
As a result, a system with, say, a PIII 600EB will have
somewhat greater throughput than the same system with
a Cel. 600. For I/O bound (read "most") applications,
the difference probably would not be noticable. For
specialized cpu-intensive apps, you could probably measure
the difference.

I've run Celerons for several years now. For desktop/side
systems, I think they are the most cost effective cpu's
on the market. They are rarely if ever used for servers.

  David

Cindy Meyer wrote:

> Hi
>
> I apologize ahead of time if this question is not suited for this list.
> We are looking at buying a large volume (70) of new computers.  I've
> notice on micronpc.com that if you choose a Celeron processor over a
> Pentium, you can save upwards of $100 per computer.  We have always
> stuck to Dell computers with Pentium processors so my question is
> whether buying a computer with a Celeron processor will make a notable
> difference in performance.  What are the opinions of this list on
> Celeron vs. Pentium?

** David Nasser                     **     [log in to unmask]    **

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com