From:
Glenn Josephson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 19:21:33 -0400
Silly question, Barry, but have you tried replacing the CMOS battery?  It
may be shot, considering the age of the machine. Also, since Windows
protection errors are often caused by bad RAM, have you tried swapping out
the memoery with some known good RAM?
Other than that, I'd be tempted to tell you to just write this one off. Pac
Bells were always cranky and unreliable, and since NEC shut them down awhile
back, I doubt  any support from them will be forthcoming.

Glenn

> I am working on an old Pack Bell Legend 100 CD. The customer was having a
> Windows Protection Error not when the system was booting into Windows,
> but instead this was occurring after Windows 95 (1st release) was in the
> final stages of exiting to Dos or shutdown mode.
> Unfortunately, I went into the bios and changed a setting called Computer
> Programming from Manual to Auto. I saved to bios and initiated a boot. It
> started in Windows no problem. The problem occurred after I shutdown
Windows
> (no protection error this time). Now when I try to start the computer I
get
> nothing. The only thing I hear is the normal noise hds perform when
> recieving power, and the monitior will indicate that is recieving power.
> That is all that happens. After the Hd finishes
> the electrical initialization everything stops.
> I have looked for the obvious such as loose connections,unseated cards,bad
> ram and infact I even took all of the onboard ram out and applied power
> hoping to at least get the beeping to indicate that the bios knows
something
> is missing,but no warning sounds are present.
> I need to know if it is possible to jumper the onboard bios chip to clear
it
> of it's current state and reset it to default settings.
> Of course the customer has no MOBO manuals, etc... so I have no clue where
> the bios chip or if this is possible.
>
> Here are the specs so far
> 24 MB ram
> 2 HDs/Master 408 MB! Slave 200 MB
> Chip: I don't know the speed etc....
> Built in Video,I/0 ports.
> SB Pro 16 with the 2X CDROM attached
> No drives are hooked up to the 2nd IDE channel.
> This is a real throwback for sure!!
> Anyone have a suggestion on how to get the bios back up so at least I can
> use the floppy drive for diagnostics,etc.....
> I went to Packard Bell website and there are no knowledgebase,manuals,
> nada available.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com