Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 23:09:48 -0700
Original static ram chips were transistor (bipolar type) flip-flops, but
when CMOS (complimentary metal-oxide semiconductor) became cheap, SRAM
changed to CMOS chips.  Then they started playing with CMOS and came up
with other variations. (CPU's went from 5.0 volts down to 2.2 volts and
it is not because of bipolar transistors, it is because of the extension
of technology from CMOS development).  Important - Dynamic RAM is
SLOOOOWWWW!  Static RAM is FAST!  It was designed that way, which is why
is has no memory.  Each flip-flop has to always have power to maintain
the condition of the cell.  Whereas dynamic RAM has, as you say, a
capacitor (actually a charged coupled device) internally to keep a
potential applied to each cell, and as time goes buy, it needs a
_dynamic_ refresh to maintain the cell condition.  Because the refresh
keeps the cell data, power consumption is lower, but the refresh takes
time and has to be performed at certain intervals.  If you go to a web
site for companies like Texas Instruments or National Semiconductor and
search their database for SRAM chips, you will be swamped with
information on them an how they work.

Enjoy
--
Jean Bourvic :>))

Elizabeth Boston wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out what kind of ram, secondary (on the
> motherboard) cache memory is made of....
>
>         Static RAM is made with transistor flip flop circuits, and while
> they operate at faster speeds than Dynamic RAM, they require more
> space, and cost more.
>
>         Dynamic RAM is made with a capacitor, and can be produced in
> less space, with less cost. The computer's main memory is Dynamic
> RAM.
>
>         Which of these is secondary cache memory made up of?
>
>      Elizabeth Boston

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html