From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 17:34:21 -0400
Without asking for more details, here are three things to check.

The older DX2 486 motherboards did not automatically reconfigure
CMOS after a cpu or memory change.  I had a couple that had to
be told if EDO memory was used instead of fast page, and at
least one had to have the ram timing changed to make it work
properly with an AMD enhanced processor.  Inspect your CMOS
advanced chipset settings and see if anything can be changed
that might help.

40 meg is a somewhat unusual amount for memory, leading me to
suspect it has been reconfigured at some point, possibly with
mismatched simms.  Maybe the memory speed ratings on one or
more simms is suitable for a 66 but too slow for a 100.

The last suggestion is the well worn advice to remove all
non-essential components, including extra simms, and boot.
Add one component at a time and boot.  Keep going until the pc
locks up.  It is possible that the cpu is not related to your
lock-ups, and that some other component will surface as the problem.
Tom Turak