From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 07:25:02 -0500
Mixed in:
From: "Venkat Viswanathan"
> I have installed a new mobo (clipped) in an "old" case (clipped).
clipped
> The problem i notice is that after about 30/45 minutes of the system
> running there is a rather very loud whirring noise(obviously the fan).
clipped
> Since the noise bothered and worried me i removed one of the side
> panel covers and booted up.  surprisingly there is no unusal noise
> except for  the gentle fan whirr. even after 4/5 HRS of the system running

Is it possible to locate the noise with the case closed? That seems critical
to solving this...  In any event, "something" (or two things) seem obviously
marginal... There is a ventilation problem, AND a fan that might be its last
legs... Take a long hard look at all the OLD fans.  The one in the PS is
likely to be the oldest unless the 350w PS is also new... (Seems like it
is a VERY good case if it had a 350W for the old CPU...)
If there are NO old fans, check to see which way ALL the fans are blowing...
I have seen the PS fan(s) blowing either way... (In OR Out...)
(I also have a PS with TWO fans, one blows into the PS and one blows
out of it... Together, they both blow OUT of the case...)
If you set up the case fans (if any) the "wrong" way, you "might" be
fighting the PS fan(s) enough to cause the bearings in one or the other to
over-heat...  In any event, you are wise to look into this until it is resolved...
clipped
> My question is, could the unusual noise (if the case is closed on all
>sides and the only ventillation is through the holes normally provided
>on the back of all cases)be due to inadequate exhaust? or could there
>be some other problem?

Sounds like it is a problem that shows up when there is a "lack of air"
in the case to exhaust... That could be an intake or exhaust problem...
The "key" to finding the solution would be to "try" to see where the
noise is coming from if/when you can hear it...
Do you know what the case manufacturer or model number is?
If it "is" a cheap case, it might be a good idea to get a "better" one...
Especially if the PS is "old"... If the +12v line is under 15A, I would
ditch the PS in any event...

                                Rick Glazier

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml