From:
"Nasser, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2001 18:09:06 -0500
Good folk,

I have a retired friend who has been running a PC
with (cheap Socket 7) Amptron PM-9100 motherboard
connected to an AT power supply for a couple years.

He has problems, per the following dialog:

---- begin message --------------------

>Are your fans running OK?

>If I can help lemme know.

No, the fans are ok, there are numerous other troubles, first where the 12
wires from the power supply  plug in to the motherboard, (they are in two
parts)it has been overhaeting, so bad that thet had fused together, i had to

rock it gentle for minutes to get it out to inspect, i figure that the
contacts are burned (why i do not know) so bad that now the whole bundle of
wires have to be held foward ar a folded piece of carboard has to be put
behind them to make inside contact for the unit to even come on, it will run

about 20/25 minutes and then go dead, let it cool for 30 min and it will run

another 20/25 min.
It is too hot to the touch at the place where the wires come from the power
supply(at the motherboard), then there are times that the keyboard has no
power, <etc>

---- end   message --------------------

I am thinking power supply and maybe voltage regulator but ...

I don't deal with stuff like this in normal circumstances.
Would appreciate advice/thoughts/conjectures regarding
this problem.

  TIA,
  David

** David Nasser                     **     [log in to unmask]    **

"Innocence is like youth, which is given us
 only to expend, and takes its very meaning
 from its loss."
      - from "The Sot-Weed Factor", John Barth, about 1967

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml