Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 08:17:11 -0700
I have had the same problems with a GW2K & Sanyo 6x CD drive.  I found out
to my dismay that a new CD ROM drive cured the problem.  It seems that the
older CD ROM drives are not capable of reading multiple file formats on
CD's.

Technology advancements and possibly planed obsolescence.

Eric Heath

> I need help...
 I have a COMPAQ Presario 4910 off-the-shelf computer.
Tonight I tried to install Netscape Communicator from
the CD-Rom. First the retractable holder didn't want to slide back in. I
> pushed it in. Then the drive contents were not readable.. couldn't find
the
> file and then nothing on the computer worked so I control-alt-deleted
twice,
> rebooted and ran the scandisk. The D: drive is there as the CD-ROM drive,
> the holder slides in by itself with a push-start, the pop-up menu(right
> click)on the CD-ROM eject selection worked. But the contents of the CD-ROM
> are inaccessible. When I try to access it it says 'D:\not ready'. I shut
> down my machine twice in a controlled shut down, but the CD's are not
> readable in the drive after I reboot. ( I remove the CD before shutdown
and
> re-insert after boot-up is done). What can I do?
>
>      Mary Jane

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org