From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:12:53 -0800
On 13 Apr 99, at 8:39, Robert Bowen - Information Se wrote:

> I have a client that "Needs" 30 IP addresses.  He absolutely refuses
> to use internal #'s (90.x.x.x, 10.x.x.x, 192.x.x.x).

  90.x.x.x is not an internal range.  192.168.x.x are internal, all other
192.x.x.x are not.

  I'm aware of exactly TWO reasons not to use internal ranges:

1.  Machines may need to be visible to the outside world.  [He should
seriously consider hiring someone who knows about firewalls....]

2.  Some people who have been involved with TCP/IP for a very loonng
time apparently consider them "new-fangled" and don't yet trust the
routers to handle (block) them correctly.

> Does anyone know how I would go about getting them and what the
> costs are involved?  I am assuming he has to purchase them from an
> ISP that has a range available.

  He could go directly to InterNIC and/or ARIN, but they're likely to
ask technical questions that he may not be prepared to answer.  And as
the available ranges get allocated, they're less and less likely to
allocate addresses without a convincing argument.
  A better bet is to talk to a largish ISP about getting his own class
C (or fraction of a class C) block.  [If he needs exactly 30, with no
room for growth, he could get away with 1/8 of a class C block using a
subnet mask of 255.255.255.224, but routers upstream (i.e., at his ISP)
would need to know where to send the rest of that class C block.]

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html