From:
Derek Buchanan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2016 15:15:40 -0400
Michael,
   This is merely my experience, so take it with a grain of salt.
Technically speaking, Windows 10 has been out for a year and the
release of the Anniversary Update was so supposed shore up some things
and add new features.  To give a personal example, it appears to be
like when I ran Windows XP.  It was fine when first released but
Service Pack 1 fixed some bugs added a few options to the management
side, that the average home user probably never touched.  Windows 10
actually seems to be made for a PC desktop, unlike Windows 8 where you
couldn't find the file explorer and if you didn't have a touch screen
then you had a hard time manipulating things that you would
traditionally do with a mouse like moving windows around and
controlling the cursor position in your favorite word processor.

    I am one of the first people at my workplace running Windows 10
and to be quite honest, its not all that earth shattering.  The
traditional Start Menu is not coming back so you see a never ending
list by alphabetical order and the assorted default tiles that I
generally ignore.  However if you pin anything to the Start Menu, it
shows up as a tile below the default tiles.  I don't know if that
would matter to you.  It looks and feels like 8.1 with a better user
interface and you will probably find that right-mouse clicking on the
Start Menu to get to Command Prompt, Programs and Features, System,
and Device Manager will be faster than navigating the never ending
click path that each version of Windows seems to introduce.  The big
take away that I noticed is that it is a smaller installation than
Windows 7, uses less memory for everyday tasks (not as sluggish), and
if you have an SSD hard drive it boots fast.  If you have a perfectly
functioning system, there is no need to jump to Windows 10.  Others
can't move to Windows 10 because of software or hardware
compatibilities.  (ex. databases, printers, scanners, etc.)

Hopefully that helps put things in perspective.
Derek Buchanan

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 9:50 PM, Michael Eisenstadt
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I am writing to ask the experts why they are upgrading to Win 10 at all.
>
> I am running Win 7 32bit and it is very stable.  Why move to a less mature
> OS from a known reliable OS? I must be missing something here so that
> is why I am asking.
>
> Michael Eisenstadt
>

> On 8/3/2016 8:15 PM, Peter Shkabara wrote:
>>
>> This is an update to my Win 10 update disaster. I "fixed" my immediate
>> problem by rolling back to my previous version of Windows and all is
>> running
>> ok now. Still, it raises the question of how to do an individual file
>> restore from a Windows backup in Win 10. Also note that some programs do
>> not
>> run under the newly released version of Win 10 (Version 1601 I think). I
>> am
>> now back to version 1511 and thing seem fine for now.
>>

>> Any comments or recommendations for a system disk backup utility will be
>> appreciated. I did use Acronis, but the earlier versions don't run on Win
>> 10
>> and found the new version a rather poor design.
>>

>> Peter Shkabara

>>                            PCSOFT's List Owners:
>>                        Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
>>                          Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>