From:
John O Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 13:03:35 -0400
Are you sure that either the BIOS has correctly auto-identified the drive
or that you have manually put in the correct drive paramaters for that drive?

If that checks out, did you completely remove any existing partitions
from the drive and create new ones with FDISK, or did you just try to
reformat an existing (and maybe non-DOS or non-compatible type for the
version of DOS you're using)?

At least those are the first thoughts I had, anyway...

-JOWj.

"The Pledge of Allegiance says, 'With liberty and justice for ALL.'  What
part of ALL do you not understand?" - Rep. Pat Schroder.

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Chuck Hassenplug wrote:

> I have a 1 GB Seagate hard drive (ST31081A) that a friend gave me. I want to
> reformat the drive and install Win98 on it, but when I try to format it in
> Win98 real dos mode, the program says that the first track is bad and
> damaged. My question is, is this drive still usable, or should I just throw
> it out? Thanks.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html