From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:41:26 -0700
Anne Neighbors wrote:
>My Lexmark X75 All In One Printer appears to have died (less than three
years old).

This is one of the pitfalls of purchasing a "All in one". If any component
fails, the whole package is toast. While having three different pieces of
equipment does take up a lot of real estate, there is comfort in knowing
replacing one item is less expensive than replacing three pieces of
hardware.

> Best Buy tell me it would cost almost as much to look at and repair as a
new one.

Well, the superstore is in business to make a profit and they may be right
in this instance. Did they or could they give you a ball park figure as to
the cost of repairing it? I realize that this may be a far fetched question
in light of the fact they will charge you to look at it. What about the
manufacturer? Do they possible have repair station near by? Do they have a
web site where you could buy a reconditioned unit?

> Can someone please make a recommendation?

I agree with Dean on this one. We don't have enough information to recommend
anything other than generic suggestions. If you could provide us with what
you might like, I'm sure the list could help you with suggestions.

Some questions that I might ask myself in your situation might be; do I want
another all in one in light of the short lived one I had? Can I afford to
purchase individual components? Purchasing separate components does have its
advantages. They are more robust in their capabilities compared to the
limited functions with all in one unit's. The draw back is cost and desk
space.

> I would need something with novice-simple installation.

My suggestion would be give some consideration to what you want the
equipment to do for you and what you want to do with the equipment. Most of
the popular manufacturers such as Epson have really nice middle of the road
equipment that performs above average for the "novice". With the software
doing most of the work and the instructions being simpler today than they
were back in the old days, installation is simple and the operation is
straight forward. Again, it depends upon what you want to do.

> I seem to remember that Hewlett-Packard got less than good reviews on this
list.

At the sake of opening Pandora's Box I will shy away from any in depth
dialog on this subject. "My experience has not been good with HP products
due to hardware compatibility issues".

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 0524-6, 06/18/2005
Tested on: 6/18/2005 7:41:23 PM