Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:06:31 +1200
I managed to stumble across the answer to my earlier question, below.

One of the tweaks I use in XP, but hadn't applied to my own pc yet, is to go right click My Computer\Properties\Advanced\Performance Settings and select 'Adjust for best performance'.

This solved the icon thing somehow.

Incidentally, this really speeds up XP's performance.  There's a cost,  XP loses all of it's fancy cosmeticized appearance, so only do it if you don't mind the change.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

  From: Ian
  Subject: [PCBUILD] Burnt CD icon not displaying in XP

  I regularly burn collections of files to CD's.

  On each succeeding disk the data and name are different, but I add three common files to every disk.

  The first two are Autorun.exe and autorun.inf which enable the CD to autorun and display the disk's contents.

  The third file, TIMICO15.exe, is about 48k in size.  It contains 50 icons, including Snoopy the dog, which I use for these data collection CD's.

  The autorun.inf contains instructions which, as well as carrying out other tasks, enables the CD to show in My Computer with the Snoopy icon, rather than a boring old Windows graphic.

  (I could never figure out how to extract the Snoopy icon from the group, so I just burn the whole 48k collection)

  My method is probably a bit clumsy, but the setup has been operating for several years without a hitch in W98.  However, I've just discovered that in XP, the disk won't display Snoopy - it reverts to XP's  'unknown file' icon.

  But if I take the disk out of my XP machine and plonk it into a W98 computer, the Snoopy icon re-appears.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>