From:
Abdul Samad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 19:30:51 +0600
Hello Dave

I have a suggestion. You said you were using a Belkin USB hub on a win 98se
system. I suggest you take a look at the file "Hardware.txt" in your windows
folder.

I am using win me and  its hardware.txt file (which I assume is more up to
date than win 98 se's) has the following to say about the belkin device:

from the hardware.txt file
---------------------------

Belkin USB Hubs
---------------
There are two issues with this device:

- The power adapter does not supply enough power for the hub
  to be able to support four full bus-powered devices.

- The hub always reports itself as a self-powered device, even
  when being used as a bus-powered device.

If you always use the power adapter, you will avoid having the
hub always report itself as a self-powered device. You should
note that if you have four devices plugged in to the hub, you may
run into intermittent problems.

Hope it helps

Abdul Samad